AFOA Canada (formerly Aboriginal Financial Officers Association of Canada) was founded as a not-for-profit association in 1999 to help Aboriginal people better manage and govern their communities and organizations through a focus on enhancing finance and management practices and skills. AFOA Canada’s premise is that one of the keys to successful self-determination, creating a better life for Canada’s Aboriginal people and a better future for the next generation lies in improving the management skills of those responsible for the stewardship of Aboriginal resources.
After sixteen years in operation, AFOA Canada has become the centre for excellence and innovation in Aboriginal finance, management and leadership. It is the only organization in Canada that focuses on the capacity development and day-to-day needs of those Aboriginal professionals who are working in all areas of finance, management, band administration, leadership and program management. “We are Building a Community of Professionals”
We will do this well by applying our principles and values that guide us to be:
- Responsive: to the interests of our members, chapters, communities and partners;
- Relevant: timely, accurate and clear in all of our information, programs and services;
- Collaborative: in building relationships, addressing issues, and meeting needs; and
- Excellence: through the high quality standards that strengthen our credibility and impact.
AFOA Canada achieves its mandate by:
- Building capacity aimed at enhancing competency and skills development in financial management, general management, program management and leadership
- Publishing the Journal of Aboriginal Management (JAM), Canada’s only professional Aboriginal management journal
- Professional development training
- Development of Aboriginal financial management, accounting and reporting standards
- Certifying Aboriginal Financial Managers
- Certifying Aboriginal Professional Administrators
- Promoting excellence and professionalism in Aboriginal Communities and organizations
- Promoting of best practices
- Encouraging Aboriginal youth to enter into the finance and management professions
- Providing a forum to support our members through sharing of knowledge and experience
- Supporting Aboriginal accountability and self-determination efforts
We serve our members' professional needs so that they can help their organizations and communities maximize resources, strengthen decision-making and governance, enhance the delivery of programs and services and meet accountability requirements. We serve our members' needs so that they can improve their skills and knowledge, grow professionally, and progress through their careers.
AFOA membership spans the country from the Pacific to the Atlantic to the Arctic. AFOA members are leaders in their communities, organizations, and companies. What binds them is their commitment to financial and management excellence. They are the people who get things done. You can be among them.