CAPA 3 - Financial Oversight
This course provides a general overview of financial concepts, many practical examples and best practices, to assist senior administrators in the execution of their daily operations and planning processes. The course includes a wide range of topics that all will likely see in the performance of their roles as senior administrators working in Aboriginal communities/organizations and provide them with information, tools and resource materials to help them succeed and excel. This course covers the following:
- Planning cycle - budgeting and forecasting
- Financial concepts, principles and standards
- Interpreting financial statements, balance sheets and other key financial documents for decision-making purposes.
- Capital and Operational budgets.
- Unique interrelationships between the community and financial parties
- Ensuring the accuracy, integrity, and timeliness of all financial information being provided for decision making or information sharing purposes (example: through the development of appropriate financial policies)
- Reporting requirements
- The audit process and its application as a management tool
- Application of risk assessment techniques and due diligence processes